A chimney fire erupted at a residence on Joni Way in Yachats Friday morning. Yachats Fire with Central Coast backup raced to the scene to find that the wood stove and the chimney had the house smoked-up pretty well. But the fire in the chimney was knocked down – home was saved.
Firefighters say repeatedly that chimney fires are almost always the result of creosote buildup in the chimney which, after a while, can flash and create quite a flame coming out the top. Flaming debris can land on and ignite the roof. Chimneys can also develop small holes in the grout, allowing sparks and flaming debris to get into an attic or crawlspace and catch fire there.
So, as firefighters always say, burn only seasoned wood – which means wood that has been stacked and covered, allowing it to dry out over at least a year period. If you don’t burn seasoned wood for whatever reason, have your chimney swept ONCE A YEAR. You’ll sleep better at night and your house will thank you.