Newport Fire units were called to McCammons Appliance Service store at 234 NE 1st shortly before midnight Saturday night on a fire alarm going off.
As units pulled up, they reported no smoke was showing but that when they approached the front door they detected a strong odor of something burning – something like rubber.
Firefighters combed the building, both the front and the rear warehouse, smelling the same odor. They opened all the doors to the business and let the evening breeze clean out the building and then went back in to track down the source. Their noses led them to a back room where an electric heater was left on. It was hard wired into the building’s electrical system. So they went to the breaker box and turned it off.
Firefighters reset the fire alarm system which re-armed itself and firefighters called it a night. Firefighters say if it isn’t absolutely critical, don’t leave heaters on, especially for prolonged periods – even ones that use thermostat controls – because you never know when something might go wrong with them.