Fire swept through a barn in the 2643 North Beaver Creek Road last evening. It was very hard to put out due to the contents of the barn – full of hay. Fire units from Yachats, Waldport, Seal Rock and Newport fire departments were up late last evening ensuring that the fire was out.
Fire Chief Tracy Shaw says the cause was mostly likely spontaneous combustion – occurs when hay is put away too moist and chemical reactions take over, generate heat, and eventually a flame flashes and the whole place goes up. Shaw said there were no injuries.