An Albany family visiting Newport on a fishing trip ran into some motor problems up river from Newport. They pulled the boat out and headed into town. As they drove through the Bayfront, smoke started billowing up from the boat. Somebody called the fire department, and they were on scene within a minute or two. They quickly extinguished the fire before it could do more than moderate damage to the interior. Degree of electrical damage to the boat’s wiring was not immediately known. The owner said he has a hunch it was one of the boat’s batteries.
No injuries since everybody was riding up front in the truck.