The occupants of the house on Lark, two houses north of Cross Street, said they were about to fry some potatoes when the grease in the pan flashed. The male resident grabbed the pan and headed through the living room toward the front door to throw it out of the house. But he tripped and fell, spraying the flaming grease everywhere. He said he and his wife barely got out. It did not take long for the whole south end of the manufactured home to be fully engulfed in flame.
Arriving fire units from Seal Rock were on scene in just a few minutes and quickly extinguished the blaze. But by then the house had sustained enormousness damage. The fire chief said it’s probably going to be a total loss.
The Red Cross is in touch with the couple to arrange temporary shelter.
Firefighters say that the way to handle a grease fire in a pan is to simply put a lid on it and turn off the burner