A very elderly man working with a small blow torch on some jewelry repair accidentally ignited an oxygen hose that flash burned him and set his house on fire.
Neighbor children spotted the smoke and the man opening his front door. They ran home and had their parents call 9-1-1. Arriving fire units went inside with a hose and brought the fire under control within a few minutes. The owner was taken to PCH with what were said to be second degree burns. It also burned away his eyebrows.
The man said one minute he was working on jewelry and then suddenly a fireball went up in his face. Assistant Fire Chief Rob Murphy said the man was using an acetylene torch as a jewelry welding tool. Some free oxygen somehow escaped and caused a flash fire which burned not only the man but set out a steady stream of fire to several tables and other furnishings.
Firefighters say that damage to the home was not major. However, due to the frailty of its owner and the fact that the power is turned off his family came over and took him to their home pending repairs to house.