Use of fire or anything that sparks now restricted in Western Oregon – It’s summer and the woods are drying, especially highly flammable grasses
A seasonal note from Oregon Department of Forestry:
When regulated use goes into effect on Wednesday, the following restrictions will be in place:
* Smoking is prohibited while traveling, except in vehicles on improved roads, in boats on the water, and on sand or gravel bars that lie between water and high-water marks that are free of vegetation.
* Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, charcoal fires, cooking fires and warming fires, except at designated campgrounds. * Portable cooking stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels are allowed.
* Chainsaw use is prohibited in areas subject to Industrial Fire Precaution Levels III and IV.
* Chainsaw use is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. in areas subject to Industrial Fire Precaution Levels I and II. * Chainsaw use is permitted at all other hours, if the following firefighting equipment is present with each operating saw: one ax, one shovel, and one 8-oz. or larger fire extinguisher. In addition, a fire watch is required at least one hour following the use of each saw.
* Use of motorized vehicles, including motorcycles and all terrain vehicles, is prohibited, except on improved roads.
* Possession of the following firefighting equipment is required while traveling, except on state highways and county roads and driveways: one ax, one shovel, and one gallon of water or one 2-½ lb. or larger fire extinguisher.
* Use of fireworks is prohibited.
* Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is permitted at all other hours, if conducted in a cleared area and if a water supply is present.
* Use of exploding targets is prohibited.
* Use of sky lanterns is prohibited.
* Use of tracer ammunition or any bullet with a pyrotechnic charge in its base is prohibited.
* Mowing of dried and cured grass with power-driven equipment is prohibited, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 8 p.m., except for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
* Blasting is prohibited, between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. Blasting is permitted at all other hours, if conducted in a cleared area and if a water supply is present.
* Any electric fence controller in use shall be: 1) Listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory or be certified by the Department of Consumer and Business Services; and 2) Operated in compliance with manufacturer’s instructions.
* Safety tips on recreating in the forest can be found on the Keep Oregon Green Association site, http://KeepOregonGreen.com/.