Provided by Newport Chamber of Commerce
(Newport, Oregon) – One of the largest fireworks displays in all of Oregon is also one of the most dynamic in sound. Newport, on the central Oregon coast, features a show of explosions that’s a bit different than others around the state. The surrounding hills of Yaquina Bay create an unusual effect where the sound bounces and careens around the area, tripling or quadrupling the booming noises from the mortars.
Those mighty rounds bursting in air are shot off from a barge in the middle of Yaquina Bay, a central location that makes it extremely easy to see from all over town – attracting some ten thousand viewers every year.
To top off this unique display, dozens of private boats wander the waters, some shooting off fireworks of their own.
Also, the area around Newport has a unique geography that allows for an especially large and diverse choice of viewing spots: the surrounding hills, the long bayfront district, South Beach and along both banks of the Yaquina River.
This year many of Newport’s boat charter services are offering bay trips during the fireworks celebration. Interested citizens are encouraged to contact a local charter service for further information.
The fireworks begin at dusk, but numerous other fun events happen around town that are worth heading out for earlier in the day.
For more information on Newport’s fireworks and Fourth of July activities, call the Newport Chamber of Commerce at 800-262-7844.
Other Fourth of July Events Around Newport:
Summer Patriotic Pops at 4 p.m. Newport High School, free admission. 70 minute program with no intermission. 322 NE Eads St. Newport, Oregon. 541-574-0614
July 4 Events at Oregon Coast Aquarium include:
* Giant Pacific Octopus. 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. $35 for Members, $40 for Non-Members. Go behind-the-scenes on a popular encounter with an octopus. Learn about the exciting life of one of the most intelligent invertebrates on this planet.
* Interpretive Dive Program. 12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. Free with the price of admission. All summer long, get face to face with some amazing marine life without even getting wet. The Aquarium’s interpretive dive program lets you watch and speak live to our volunteer SCUBA divers as they swim among sharks and rays in the Passages of the Deep’s Open Sea exhibit. The divers will share their experiences and insights about the animals and give you a glimpse into what it takes to maintain a world-class aquarium. The program is approximately 20 minutes long and appropriate for visitors of all ages.
* Behind the Scenes Tours. 1 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. $10 members / $15 nonmembers. What does it take to care for a 1 million gallon goldfish bowl? Se how to vacuum in the water, make food for a 500-pound sea lion and what it looks like above the water in Passages of the Deep. Maximum number of participants per tour: 15.
Sea Lion Kisses. 2:30 p.m. – 3 p.m. $30 members, $35 nonmembers. 20-30 minute experience including a behind-the-scenes look at the Aquarium’s pinniped facility followed by a whiskery kiss from a sea lion or harbor seal and fun photo opportunities.
Oregon Coast Aquarium. 2820 S.E. Ferry Slip Road. Newport, Oregon. 541-867-3474. www.aquarium.org.
July 4 Events at Hatfield Marine Science Center:
* Guided Estuary Walk at 11 a.m. Experienced volunteers guide you along our interpretive nature trail. On the tour you’ll explore the plants, animals, and forces that make the Yaquina Bay a productive ecological community. This walk takes about an hour to complete and the trail is not fully paved.
* All-Tank Feeding at 1 p.m. Watch knowledgeable volunteers feed the live animal exhibits in the Visitor Center. This is a great opportunity to see a diverse assortment of marine creatures actively feeding.
* Hatfield Marine Science Visitor Center. 2030 S. Marine Science Drive. Newport, Oregon, 541-867-0226.