An Earthquake/Tsunami Preparedness update from Jenny Demaris, Lincoln County Office of Emergency Management
We would like to invite the various community partners, neighborhood groups, faith based groups, employers and others to help your local Public Safety partners spread the word about the new tsunami zone’s and evacuation maps.
The Oregon Department of Geology and Minerals (DOGAMI) has prepared the attached tsunami information handout as an educational tool for distribution. The document can also be forwarded electronically, linked to your websites, printed and posted in your neighborhoods, offices, businesses or printed and handed out to employees or others as appropriate.
Our campaign efforts for the month of May will be focused on different outreach efforts we hope will be effective in communicating our campaign message – ARE YOU IN A ZONE!! – New Maps, 2 Zones.
2nd Week of May (6th – 12th):
– DOGAMI Tsunami Rallies (see schedule below and in the attached handout)
– Door to Door Campaign for select neighborhoods in the inundation zones begins and continues through June
3rd Week of May (13th – 19th):
– Business Reader Board Campaign, businesses encouraged to post “ARE YOU IN A ZONE?” for three days during this week
– Bayshore Tsunami Evacuation Drill on the 18th
4th & 5th Week of May (May 20th – 31st):
– Door to Door Campaigns, Newspaper and News Website Feature Stories and Radio Shows continue.
Tsunami readiness rallies this week in Lincoln City, Waldport, and Newport
New evacuation maps to be handed out, along with presentation by tsunami science and readiness experts.
This week three cities in Lincoln County will host presentations by staff of the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI), with a focus on new evacuation maps showing two zones, as well as how to prepare your loved ones for an earthquake and tsunami. New map brochures for each local area will be distributed at the rallies.
· Get the new map for your area. Learn about the two new evacuation zones, how to get out of harm’s way, and how to find your nearest assembly area.
· Learn from Japan’s 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
· Prepare yourself, your neighbors, and loved ones.
· Ask questions and hear from scientists and local leaders.
May 7 Tuesday | Lincoln City
Two times! 3:00pm and 7:00pm
Lincoln City Cultural Center, 540 NE Highway 101
May 9 Thursday | Waldport
Waldport High School, 320 S. Crestline Drive
May 11 Saturday | Newport
Best Western Agate Beach Inn, 3019 N. Coast Highway,