A Seattle man sleeping in his R/V parked at a Lincoln City R/V resort was awakened early this morning by the barking of one of his two dogs. Jim Martin told North Lincoln Fire Rescue Captain Jim Kusz that he instantly smelled smoke and quickly discovered flames in the back portion of his R/V. Capt. Kusz said Martin grabbed a fire extinguisher but it didn’t work. Assistant Chief Doug Kerr determined that the fire had already grown too big anyway for the fire extinguisher to handle.
First-in fire units arrived to a fully engulfed RV fire. Firefighters managed to knock down the blaze quickly, but due the nature of R/V fires (they burn hot and fast), Martin’s 36-foot Holiday Rambler R/V was destroyed. His SUV parked right outside sustained heat damage there at the Premier R/V Resort off SE 101.
Martin praised his Blue Healer mix “Ryse” for saving his life as well as his other dog “Bryse.” All three escaped uninjured.
Captain Kusz and Assistant Chief Doug Kerr recommend smoke alarms in any dwelling, temporary or not. They say Martin claimed to have a smoke alarm in his R/V, but it wasn’t determined if it had been activated. Keep your smoke alarm battery fresh. Captain Kusz says he keeps several fire extinguishers in his home spaced throughout the house and garage remembering to keep them in specific spaces for quick access. He says seconds count as he and his fire fighters have clearly shown throughout the county with their “Burn to Learn” demonstration trailer as to how fast fires can grow and kill.