When painters finished some of their work at a vacant house at 3555 SW Coast in Lincoln City earlier in the week, firefighters say they left a space heater running in a downstairs room. Long after the painters left, the heat from the space heater raised the temperature of adjacent flammable materials. They eventually caught fire and ignited the room.
North Lincoln Fire Rescue Captain Jim Kusz told News Lincoln County that when firefighters pulled up, the house had flames coming out the south side rear windows with smoke boiling up into the upper floor. Capt. Kusz said it took firefighters the better part of twenty minutes to knock down the flames and fully extinguish the fire.
In the final tally, Capt. Kusz said the house suffered over $75,000 in damage from flame and smoke – all because a space heater was left on. He said when any work is being done on a home or any other structure, at the end of the work day do a thorough walk-around inspection before you leave the property in order to head off any fire hazard.