A fire gutted the Toledo home of Jeff Storm, a partially disabled resident who was riding out Sunday night’s violent storm. Storm told neighbors one minute he was listening to the wind then suddenly his oxygen equipment burst into flames. The fire spread fairly quickly through the small trailer home located at 981 SE Fircrest. Neighbors escorted Storm through the torrential rain and wind to safety. Arriving Toledo firefighters found the trailer fully engulfed in flame and, at that point, was a total loss. Firefighters say they’ll come back Monday in an effort to track down the source of the fire. Storm told neighbors he had no open flame of any kind in the dwelling. Firefighters say it doesn’t take much to ignite oxygen whether from a sparking plug or just static electricity which the storm could have easily provided.
Storm was initially transported by ambulance to PCH in Newport but was later transferred to Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis. His injuries did not appear to be serious but there were concerns about his breathing condition having been exposed to dense smoke.