A Monday afternoon electrical failure of some kind prompted a house fire at 1089 Yasek Loop, 3 miles north of the Highway 20/226 intersection.
The man of the house called 9-1-1 and reported his upstairs was filling with smoke. Toledo firefighter raced to the scene to see the upstairs black with smoke and lighter color smoke coming out from both the north and south gable windows. A quick attack with hoses and pulling out wall material to spray inside the walls got the fire out pretty quickly. Smoke and fire damage appeared to most severe in the upstairs area.
The owner said he wasn’t sure if it could be rats in the walls chewing on insulation or perhaps a water leak from all the heavy rains we’ve had over the last couple of weeks. It’s a very old house.
The fire department said whatever caused the electrical problem, it took off from there. Power to the home is off until the problem can be repaired.
Immediately on arrival and assessing the situation, Toledo Fire Captain Larry Robeson quickly called for back-up engines from both Siletz and Newport which responded with a structure engine from Newport and a water tender from Siletz.