A dryer fire filled a Siletz apartment with smoke Thursday morning on Takelma Court. A neighbor called 9-1-1 saying that her child’s bedroom was filling with smoke that was coming from a next door apartment. Firefighters pulled up finding that the housing manager had opened the door and so they went right in to find the dryer, just burning away. The wall was being scorched but it had not yet caught fire.
Firefighters doused the flames and made sure the fire had not spread to the walls. Later they dragged the burned out hulk to the street where they inspected it. They believe the dryer’s lint filter was clogged, causing the dryer to overhead and ignite.
Firefighers say checking lint the filter on your dryer regularly is absolutely necessary to prevent fires. And cleaner lint filters makes your clothes dry faster which saves on your utility bill.