RESTRICTED USE POSTING DUE TO BLUE-GREEN ALGAE BLOOM
CITY OF NEWPORT UPPER AND LOWER BIG CREEK RESERVOIRS
The following news release outlines the fact that the Big Creek Reservoirs have had an outbreak of a toxic algae bloom and for people to stay out of the water. Don’t fish, don’t swim, don’t let your dogs play or swim in the water. But the release also says that the city’s water purification plant removes the algae and any toxins and that city water is perfectly safe to drink and for all other normal uses.
The Big Creek reservoir system is experiencing a bloom of blue-green algae due to the dry weather conditions. The algae present in the water sampled from Big Creek Reservoir #1 is called Microcystis aeruginosa and is a potential cyanotoxin producer of the peptide liver toxin group called microcystins. The number of cells found in the Big Creek Reservoir #1 sample is higher than the number the Oregon Department of Health recognizes for posting of a health advisory.
The City’s water treatment system removes the algae and potential toxins and the City’s drinking water is safe to drink. However direct contact with the algae in the raw untreated water by fishing, swimming, or other recreational activities is potentially harmful to humans and animals.
Therefore, a health advisory is being placed upon both the upper and lower Big Creek Reservoirs restricting all recreational use. The reservoirs will be posted with signs advising the public of the potential health hazards and the water will be tested weekly to monitor status of the bloom. Please do not allow yourself or your pets to come into contact with the water in the reservoir until further testing indicates that the algae bloom has run its course and the water is safe again for recreational use.
Contact Public Works Director, Tim Gross, (541.574.3369) or Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Steve Stewart, (541.265.7421) with questions. Thank you.