A woman living in this apartment at the end of SW 34th called the fire department Sunday evening to say that she had just knocked down a stove fire but was afraid the fire may still be smoldering in the wall next to the stove.
Newport fire units pulled into the driveway and immediately went about tracking down any fire activity in the wall. They say they did not find any. And they attributed it to the cook who had a fire extinguisher at the ready which she used correctly and which knocked the fire down very fast.
Two lessons; always watch what’s on the stove. It’s like sneaker waves – never turn your back to the ocean, and never turn your back on an active stove. The other lesson she passed with home-saving colors. Keep an appropriate fire extinguisher at the ready. It’s a must. And of course learn how to use it correctly. If you have any questions about these sorts of home saving issues, the Newport Fire Department would be happy to work with you so you can be fire and stove safe. Call them at 541-265-9461. They’re always glad to help.