A homeowner in the 100 block of NW 58th Street digging a post hole for a new fence accidentally punctured his natural gas line. The puncture filled the neighborhood with the pungent smell of gas and prompted a door to door notification to nearby residents.
The homeowner told firefighters that he had gas line work done on his home some time ago and was pretty sure where the line was. He was replacing an old fence post so he thought he was safe to dig. Unfortunately it wasn’t and he cut the line with his shovel.
The gas company shut the gas off to his house in order to make repairs to the line. The street was reopened to normal traffic at around 1:30pm.