A man overcome with fumes from something that was left on the stove too long met fire fighters outside his house on NE 17th Street Sunday evening. A neighbor said the man was coughing and coughing as he tried to tell his neighbor that the house was filling with smoke and that he didn’t know what it was. He said, and fire fighters later agreed, that the fumes smelled like something electrical was burning.
But as fire fighters got inside the house and traced the source of the smoke, it led to the kitchen. There they found food that had been left on the stove to the point it started burning and smoking. Fire fighters placed a smoke evacuation fan in the front door and soon had the house’s air back to normal. The resident was counseled about unattended cooking. Unattended cooking causes a substantial percentage of house fires nationwide.