FIRE AT 563 MILLER ROAD, NORTH OF SILETZ
Aline Miller was awakened just before 6am by her upstairs smoke alarm. Her 2005 Ford Escape had caught fire in the garage below the upstairs living quarters. Aline called 911 and then her brother who rushed over. He said he emptied a fire extinguisher on the flaming car but it was too late. By then Aline appeared on the porch after trying to save her cats. She and her brother managed to get a trunk of family pictures out and down the steps. However, Aline suffered a turned ankle in the process and was driven to the hospital by family.
Arriving Siletz firefighters threw an engine’s worth of water on the flames but that too was not enough. The house/barn was soon consumed by flames reaching 50 to 60 feet in the air. Siletz firefighters quickly set up a water transfer pool/tank so that soon arriving fire trucks from Toledo and Newport could dump and go in rapid succession. But due to the remoteness of the home and the distance the trucks had to travel, the water wound up just controlling the fire as the house disappeared.
Aline’s family said she had just received a recall notice on her car from Ford, “something about the ignition system.” They added that the notice from Ford instructed Aline to not contact the local dealer, that they would arrange the recall repair once the parts are available at the dealership.
The state fire Marshall was enroute from the valley to try to determine the exact cause of the fire.
Aline Miller, 61, lived alone in the upper level living quarters of what was a barn, with a garage below. It was not immediately revealed whether she has fire insurance. The family said they think she does.
The Miller family has been farming that part of the Siletz Valley for many years, running mainly cattle. The name Miller Road was dedicated to the family name.
Bottom picture is shared by Wendy Moore.
She said “I grew up on Miller Road and loved the barn house.”