Newport Firefighters were called to a house of SW 27th Street late Tuesday afternoon on a report of flames coming out of a wood stove flue, spreading embers around the wood-sided house.
Units pulled up to learn that the owner had closed the damper and that seemed to bring the fire down out of the flue, although it was still smoking profusely.
Assistant Fire Chief Rob Murphy said the interior of the chimney was thick with creosote residue from a lot of burning wood, meaning it was in deep need of a cleaning. He told News LIncoln County that anyone who burns a lot of wood, or wood that is wet or not properly cured, their chimneys or flues should be cleaned at least once a year if not more often. And that the cleaning should be done by a true professional to ensure that the job is done correctly.