Two elderly women, preparing clam chowder for Sunday dinner at their church, were forced from their Lincoln Beach home this afternoon after their kitchen burst into flame.
The women told fire fighters that they were cooking on the stove as well as using a microwave oven when they looked up and saw a fire between the microwave and their cedar cabinets. The cabinets caught fire and the flames spread out across the kitchen. The women managed to get downstairs ahead of the flames while calling 9-1-1 on their hand-held phone.
Arriving fire units from Depoe Bay/Gleneden Beach arrived fast enough to stop the fire from escaping the kitchen area. None the less, fire department officials say the kitchen work area was destroyed and the upper floor of the home suffered considerable smoke damage rendering the home uninhabitable. But fortunately for the two women they have temporary living quarters at a neighbor’s home which the two women were housesitting anyway.
Damage to the womens’ home was estimated at $25,000. Fire officials say it’s hard to tell what exactly started the fire since the area was so heavily burned. The women said they had the stove and the microwave going at the same time cooking the chowder for the church dinner.