A number of residents were evacuated during the noon hour Wednesday into a pouring rain at Searidge Condominiums, in Lincoln Beach after a plumbing contractor accidentally punctured a natural gas line to the complex. Initially it was reported by the contractor as a 1.5″ inch line which would qualify it for a major fire response. But when units arrived on scene it was determined it was a half-inch line. The line was capped off and all residents were allowed back into their units.
Depoe Bay Fire Chief Josh Williams reminds contractors that there is a number to call that will give them the information they need before they dig for any reason; in this case, plumbing. Williams told News Lincoln County that the plumbing company did not call the “811” number prior to activating the backhoe that punctured the line.
Emergency responders are evacuating residents. Law enforcement being summoned to help with the evacuation.
Contractor says it’s a high pressure natural gas line. There is a lot of gas rushing out, but there is no fire.
Emergency first responders are just now getting on scene of a report of a major natural gas rupture at Searidge Condominiums in Depoe Bay. A construction crew reported the leak at around 12:15. Crews are arriving finding the big outpouring of natural gas between buildings “L” and “M.” No word on any evacuations.