Information provided by Oregon State Fire Marshal
With an increased risk of fire in the days and nights surrounding Halloween, Oregon State Fire Marshal Mark Wallace reminds everyone to keep fire safety “Priority One” when participating in Halloween festivities.
“Events and activities surrounding Halloween can increase the risk of fire and injuries,” says State Fire Marshal Mark Wallace. “When you combine an increase in candle use with decorations, costumes, and children, you have an increased danger of fire. A safer option is to use battery-operated candles. We also want to remind families to remember fire safety when decorating and participating in activities throughout the weekend.”
In the four-day period surrounding Halloween over the past five years there have been 622 structure fires in Oregon resulting in 17 injuries, two deaths, and more than $5.4 million in property damage.
With Halloween just a few days away, the Office of State Fire Marshal offers tips to keep everyone safe:
* Purchase costumes, wigs, and props labeled flame-resistant or flame-retardant.
* Avoid flowing costumes or those that drag; these may easily contact an open flame and ignite.
* Keep flammable materials such as dried flowers, corn stalks, hay bales, crepe paper, and other decorations far away from open flames and heat sources including light bulbs, heaters, or smoking materials.
* Keep exits clear of decorations.
* Teach children to Stop, Drop, and Roll should their costume catch fire.
* Use flashlights or battery-operated candles to light up jack-o-lanterns.
* Use torchlights when decorating walkways and yards.
* Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
* Use candle holders made of metal, glass, or ceramic.
* Never leave candles burning unattended; blow them out before leaving the room or before going to sleep.
* Don’t light candles with items embedded in or near them such as twigs, flowers, or leaves.
* Inspect decorative light sets for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
* Don’t overload extension cords or electrical outlets.
* Have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home, outbuilding sleeping areas, and inside bedrooms.
* Prevent arson by reporting suspicious persons or activities to local law enforcement.