Provided by Assn’t Fire Chief Rob Murphy
At around 8:23 pm today Newport Fire Department responded to a report of a dryer fire located on SW Elizabeth St. Our first arriving unit reported smoke coming from a single family residence on the 200 block of SW 10th Street. Firefighters found a small fire burning in the dryer and extinguished it. There was one adult and two children at home at the time of the fire. They had evacuated the residence prior to calling 911. None of them were injured.
Fire damage was contained the dryer and only the laundry room suffered smoke damage. After the fire was extinguished, the residence was ventilated of smoke and returned to the occupants.
Newport Fire Department responded with 2 fire engines, 1 command vehicle and 11 firefighters. Newport Police Department assisted with traffic control. Pacific West Ambulance and Central Lincoln PUD also assisted.
The fire was caused by a malfunction inside the dryer which ignited the clothes inside. Newport Fire Department urges everyone clean your dryer’s lint trap after every load of laundry, and have a working smoke detector. Any questions may be directed to the Public Information Officer.