I wanted to take some time this week to celebrate the remarkable Farmers and Artisan Markets that grace nearly every community across our district.
Outdoor markets are a showcase for local produce growers, farmers, bakers, wineries, creameries, artisan foods, and one of a kind expertly crafted items from handmade knives to handmade soaps. Our farmers offer distinct high-quality produce, meat, cheese, honey, eggs, organic hummus and dips, beautiful healthy plants and so much more. Each is a local small business.
Some markets include a Food Court with a wide variety of hot and cold food options, beverages, and baked delicacies. You can enjoy live music and special entertainment for kids or chat with Master Gardeners! Check web pages to confirm pets are welcome but please remember that they are required to be on a leash at all times.
Supporting your local farmers and artisans strengthens the community! Catch up with friends and neighbors while stocking up on fresh produce. Experience our local flavor and see what makes these great events so special. Here is a list of local markets. Be sure and check their hours and location as some may have changed:
- Lincoln City Farmers and Crafters Market is held from 9-2, each Sunday at their new location at the Marketplace at Salishan, 7760 NW Highway 101, Gleneden Beach, three miles south of Lincoln City.
- Newport Farmer’s Market is across from city hall on the corner of Highway 101 and Angle Street, Saturdays from 9-1.
- Toledo Waterfront Market is held each Thursday from 10-3.
- Neskowin Farmer’s Market is open Saturdays from 9-1 on the east side of Highway 101 across from the Neskowin Beach Wayside.
- Pacific City Farmer’s Market is open Sundays from 10-2 at the South Tillamook County Library
- Salishan Specialty Farmers Market & Artisan Faire runs two days, Fridays 11-5 and Saturdays 10-4 in the Salishan Marketplace.
- Siletz Valley Farmers Market is open on Tuesdays from 2-6 with breakfast and lunch available at the Grange Hall, 162 N Gaither Street.
- Waldport Farmers Market is on Wednesdays from 10-4 in the Community Center Parking lot, at 265 NW Hemlock (Highway 34).
- Yachats Farmers Market is held on Sundays from 9-2 at West 4th St and Highway 101.
- Willamina Farmers Market is open on Sundays, 10-2 at Main and B Street in Willamina.
- Philomath Farmers’ Market is open Sundays, 11-3 at the Philomath Community Library, 1050 Applegate St. Philomath was named the Outstanding Small Market in 2021 by the Oregon Farmers Markets Association.
As we finish out the school year, I want to congratulate our graduates and thank our teachers for all that they have done for our students and our community this past year.
I believe it has never been harder to be a teacher than during the last two years. There have been difficulties and obstacles presented by the pandemic, national debates about educational content and school board challenges, and gun violence concerns that are so raw right now after the tragedies for teachers, students, and schools all over the nation. Teachers have been stretched beyond what should be acceptable.
I want our local teachers to know that you have my commitment to do all I can to support you and your colleagues and to finding ways to improve working conditions for future school years. Thank you for being the backbone of our educational system and for the tireless work that you put in to help our students succeed and thrive!