What’s described as a dangerous building in downtown Toledo may have met the end of its life expectancy there at 160 North Main Street. City inspectors and others performed what they called a thorough exam as to the safety of anyone being inside the building, much less spending nights there.
City officials took a tour of the hotel and were somewhat overwhelmed by its rather dilapidated condition. They took note of worn electrical wiring, the presence of flammable liquids, rubbish, rags, waste oils, gasoline and other flammables that could easily catch fire or pose a danger to the safety of the building. Inspectors said they saw filthy and unsanitary conditions which could easily cause the spread of contagious and/or infectious diseases. Inspectors also noticed that the building is in such a condition that it poses a considerable danger to any occupants not to mention the danger to people in other buildings in the downtown.
City inspectors and other city workers are recommending that the Toledo City Council determine that the entire building is too dangerous to occupy not to mention other possible violations of the Oregon Fire Code. But there’s always a chance that such a building could be rehabilitated to legal levels.
We’ll see how this whole issue plays out.