At 8:43 PM Monday night Newport Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a fire in a storage unit in Aquarium Village located at 3101 SE Ferry Slip Road. Upon arrival, fire units observed dark smoke coming from the rear of the building. Fire crews established a water supply and called for additional resources. Reaching the seat of the fire was hampered by poor access and clutter found inside the unit. After gaining access, crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and ventilate the structure. No injuries were reported.
Newport Fire Department received mutual aid response from Depoe Bay Fire District, Toledo Fire Department, Siletz Valley Fire District, Central Oregon Coast Fire & Rescue District & Seal Rock Fire District. Pacific West Ambulance, Newport Police Department, and Central Lincoln PUD provided additional assistance. Newport Fire Department responded with 1 fire engine, 1 heavy rescue, 1 chief officer and 9 firefighters.
The fire was caused by a failure in an electric space heater. Newport Firefighters urge that citizens keep space heaters away from combustible materials and make sure the power chord is in good condition.
Another good save by the Newport Fire Department with a small army of firefighters from around the county who responded quickly to Newport Fire’s call for mutual aid.