The City of Newport has a vacancy on its Police Advisory Committee for a member of the Latinx community. The Committee meets monthly, at City Hall on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:00 P.M. Meetings are held in-person.
The responsibilities of the Police Advisory Committee include:
- ● To enhance police-community relations; and review police activity and calls for service.
- ● To educate Committee members regarding police practices, protocols, procedures and updates; to review police officer performance and to provide a community perspective and recommendations concerning procedures, programs and the effectiveness of the police services.
- ● To engage in training to learn about policing and to promote public awareness of the city’s police services and programs, including, but not limited to, business and residential crime prevention programs, safety training, domestic violence intervention, and school district/police/ community programs.
- ● To hold public meetings, from time to time, to solicit public input regarding police services, police conduct, and department programs.
- ● To serve as a liaison between the Police Department and the community.
- ● To encourage individuals and community groups to assist the Police Department in the implementation of police programs and services.
- ● To review policies and procedures and make recommendations concerning such other and further matters as may be referred to the Committee by the Mayor, City Council or Police Chief.
- ● To review officer training and frequency of training regarding cultural competence, awareness and content as it reflects local demands.
- ● To provide input on promoting as well as distributing the annual report to the community with a compilation of statistics on citations, violations, broken down by demographics, and a collection of community feedback documented by police interactions with the Newport community.
- ● To promote and distribute an infographic with a clear protocol on the process – from initial complaint to response in order to build trust, transparency and responsiveness.
- ● To review Committee composition to determine effective outreach and recruitment of community members from varied community groups.
- ● To respond to community concerns in a timely manner.
- ● To prepare a report and recommendation to the Council determining formalization of the Police Advisory Committee.
- Anyone interested in applying to fill this vacancy on the Police Advisory Committee should apply using the city’s committee application which is found on the city website at www.newportoregon.gov; click on “City;” then on “Committees;” and then on “Application for Committee/Commission.”
- The completed form can be submitted electronically. Hard copies of the committee application form can be obtained by contacting the City Manager’s Office at 169 SW Coast Highway, Newport, Oregon 97365, or by calling 541.574.0613. The application deadline is August 13, 2021.