CELEBRATE INDEPENDENCE DAY WITH A FIREWORKS DISPLAY
ON YAQUINA BAY
After a one-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Newport will host an Independence Day fireworks display on Yaquina Bay. This event will begin at 10:00 P.M., on Sunday, July 4, 2021. The fireworks will be dispatched from on the west end of the International Terminals over Yaquina Bay near The Embarcadero Resort. The Coast Guard will be enforcing an “exclusion zone” of about 400-500 feet from the firing area. No boats are allowed inside this exclusion zone.
Residents and visitors are encouraged to exercise extreme caution when celebrating with fireworks. The State of Oregon is under drought conditions, and wildfire risk is high. The Newport Fire Department recommends you enjoy fireworks at the city-sponsored professional event. If you do purchase fireworks for private use, please consider the
following safety precautions:
- ● Only fireworks purchased in Oregon at a properly permitted retail location are allowed.
- ● Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks. Adults should always supervise fireworks activities.
- ● Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- ● Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move back to a safe distance immediately after lighting.
- ● Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully functioned or appear to have failed. After fireworks are completely spent and cool, douse the device with plenty of water prior to discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- ● Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- ● Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- ● Never use, ignite, or discharge any fireworks while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.