January 10, 2021
Here are our activities in the next 2 weeks…
The Marys Peak Group Executive Committee will be meeting January 12th via Zoom from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. All MPG members are welcome to attend. Contact MarysPeakGroup@Oregon.Sierraclub.org
to get the login information. This will be the last meeting of the 2020 excom which will wrap up old business and accept the results of our last election. The 2021 excom will then take over to elect officers and plan the year ahead.
Once the Marys Peak Group is allowed to resume offering and conducting outings by the National Office of the Sierra Club and by Governor Brown’s phase-in levels, would you in the meantime be Interested in Becoming a Leader for Sierra Club Outings?
If you enjoy sharing Oregon’s incredible outdoors with others, then we hope you will become an outing leader for the Marys Peak Group (MPG), the local group of the Oregon Chapter of the Sierra Club, Having new leaders is critical to MPG’s goal of getting people out into Oregon’s outdoors. We’d love to have you! Doing so will add to the number and variety of hikes and outings we offer.
Having a love of the outdoors is the essential characteristic of an MPG leader. The purpose of MPG’s outings is to share parts of Oregon that you have discovered and enjoy. A background or interest in any of the natural sciences is a wonderful plus but not necessary.
What are the Advantages of Becoming an Outing Leader?
- Provides an incentive or motivation for you to find new trails in Oregon
- Opportunities to share those or your favorite trails with others
- Sharing your pleasure & joy will help get people out enjoying nature
- Meeting and interacting with other lovers & enjoyers of the outdoors
- Chances of learning new insights from participants on your trips
- Strengthens your organizational skills
Ken Fitschen, Assistant Chair, Jules Moritz, Outings Chair, and Robert Verhoogen, Chair Emeritus, will make the process as smooth as possible. Contact one of them via e-mail if you are interested in finding out more about becoming an outing leader:
– Ken Fitschen’s e-mail = firstname.lastname@example.org
– Jules Moritz’s e-mail = email@example.com
– Robert Verhoogen’s e-mail = firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcements… (1 new)
1) Per OSU Research Forests –
JANUARY ELK HUNT ACTIVE ON DUNN FOREST AND TURKEY HUNT APPLICATIONS OPEN
218A NE Alsea Controlled Elk Hunt Active through January 31st on the Dunn Forest
The 218A NE Alsea Controlled Elk Hunt is occurring on the Dunn Forest throughout the month of January. This is a very small hunt, as only 11 people were granted permission through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. These hunters were sent a permission letter in the mail, granting them access to the Dunn Forest for walk-in hunting. Hunters may use a rifle or bow, and are hunting for antlerless elk (cows).
You may or may not see hunters while you are out on the Dunn Forest over the next month. Here are some tips from the USDA Forest Service on hunting safety for hunters and other recreators.
Here is a map of the area where hunting is allowed, for your reference.
NOTE: There will NOT be any Peak View mailings UNLESS there is new information to report from OSU Forestry, the Sierra Club National office, or the Governor’s Office about the opening up of recreation areas, or from our Executive Committee.
1) Newcomers to MPG outing events, please view the new GENERAL OUTING POLICY on our MPG website by clicking on copying and pasting <http://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak/outings > and then clicking on < Get Outdoors/Outings and Policies > before pre-registering for or attending an outing.
2) Carpooling: Given the changing gas prices when car-pooling, take a
moment to ask the leader for the suggested reimbursement rate per passenger per hour of driving for the outing.
3) Contacting Marys Peak Group: Marys Peak Group contact information is obtainable at https://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak/contact. Listed are the Executive Committee members and the Administrative and Program Coordinators.
4) Facebook: Marys Peak Group – Sierra Club is on Facebook. Check out MPG’s Facebook page to view pictures of past hikes and events, and learn about upcoming opportunities. Post pictures from hikes and outings you participate in! Copy and paste the address https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Peak-Group-Sierra-Club/159377960779
5) Minutes of the MPG Executive Committee can be viewed at the aforementioned website by clicking on the About Us/Ex Comm Meeting Minutes tab or by clicking on https://oregon2.sierraclub.org/marys-peak/minutes for the minutes of the virtual meeting.
The Peak View
Marys Peak Group – Sierra Club
P.O Box 863, Corvallis, OR 97339