Nye Beach Seeks to Form
Nye Neighborhood Association (Nye Neighbors) Organizing Committee is a group of Nye Beach residents working to create a Neighborhood Association. The Association will be composed of residents, property owners and businesses dedicated to supporting and promoting a positive quality of life in our neighborhood. The committee currently envisions the “neighborhood” to include the Nye Beach Design Review District which is bordered by SW 2nd St. through NW 12thSt. from the ocean to Hurbert St.
Neighborhood associations are unique organizations that can serve as powerful advocacy groups for a neighborhood when they are effective. They are guided by the knowledge, experience, and will of members. They build social networks and provide ways for neighbors to pursue collective action, keep informed and participate in activities.
The goal is to be inclusive and to represent the diverse interests of the Nye Beach Community. The City of Newport adopted a policy for recognizing Neighborhood Associations in Oct. 2018. In it the city encourages the formation of Neighborhood Associations and for them to be involved in city planning processes. The pandemic and need for social distancing create a challenge to organizing a large and inclusive group since there can not be large community gatherings. Those interested and who want to stay informed, please send contact information- name, e-mail, phone, and address to firstname.lastname@example.org
NNA’s mission is to improve and enhance the quality of life in the Nye Neighborhood community by: encouraging community identity, engagement and awareness. NNA achieves this mission by:
- Fostering cooperative efforts among neighbors, businesses, public officials, and other organizations.
- Promoting desirable development within and adjacent to the neighborhood association boundaries in order to protect the historical nature and residential integrity of the neighborhood.
- Addressing safety concerns and quality of life issues.
- Supporting neighborhood beautification efforts.
- Educating neighbors on community issues and local services as well as providing a forum for which to resolve these issues.
- Encouraging volunteerism and organizing projects that meet community goals.
- Advocating on behalf of the neighborhood regarding government issues.
- Encouraging a caring community where neighbors look after each other.
- Promoting goodwill and neighborliness through social activities.
– Organizing Committee members: Cathey Briggs, Tom Briggs, Trish Canning, Wendy Engler, Jan Kaplan (Chair), Veronica Lundell, Evelyn Nagy, Frances VanWert, Martha Winsor