City Facilities Begin to Reopen
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Newport closed facilities, programming, and meetings in March. Lincoln County entered Phase Two of re-opening on September 29, and the city is working on its re-opening plan as well. Re-opening will be a process for the city as many buildings required modification to re-open, and in some cases, the modifications are not complete, which could potentially delay the full re-opening of various facilities.
The following facilities will open, at some level, during the week of October 5, 2020:
1. City Hall will be open from 8:00 A.M. until 2:00 P.M., Monday through Thursday. It will remain closed on Fridays. The Friday closure is unrelated to the COVID-19 pandemic, but designed to allow the reduced staff (due to budget cuts) to continue to support city services. Access to City Hall during open hours will be through the main entrance (Highway 101 entrance).
2. Events may occur at the Airport subject to gathering restrictions imposed by Governor Brown and appropriate physical distancing.
3. The Library will tentatively re-open on October 19 for computer usage by appointment. Access to Library materials will continue through the Library’s Take-Out Service.
4. The Recreation Center will re-open on October 6, but a start date for organized sports and activities will be determined later.
5. The Aquatic Center will re-open on October 6, but a start date for organized sports and activities will be determined later.
6. Playgrounds and sports fields will re-open. Organized practices on sports fields will be scheduled after meeting with city staff.
7. The Visual Arts Center will re-open on October 24, and will be operating on a modified schedule to be determined.
Anyone entering a city facility will be required to wear a mask and agree to a temperature scan.
The re-opening of any city facility, program, and meeting is subject to change.
Questions should be directed to Peggy Hawker, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 541.574.0613.