NEWPORT PUBLIC LIBRARY DIGITAL AND ONLINE RESOURCES UPDATE
The Newport Public Library has closed its doors in compliance with Coronavirus precautions, but the staff are committed to providing everyone with reliable information and valuable services. The staff is available to help Library users via email or phone. Questions can be directed to Library staff, at 541.265.2153, weekdays, from 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Calls and emails sent during the weekend may not be addressed until Monday.
This decision was not made lightly. Staff recognizes that the closure means some of the people who need the Library most will not have access to the facility. Staff is working with its partners to develop a plan to best support the community. To protect employee health, staff is following guidelines from Lincoln County health officials. While the physical space is closed, your Library card provides access to a world of digital content and other services for all ages including downloadable magazines, eBooks and audiobooks, streaming video, educational resources, and language tutorials. All are available at www.newportlibrary.org and free with your library card. You should also know:
● The Library will be extending holds and due dates. Anyone with materials that are due during this closure, please keep them until libraries reopen. No fines will be incurred at this time.
● Library book drops are closed as of Monday, March 23.
● Donations are not being accepted during this closure.
● There will be no Interlibrary Loan service during the closure.
● In the interest of extending digital services to individuals who didn’t have a Library
card before this shut down, the Library is offering a Temporary Ecard. This card will allow full access to digital holdings, like Hoopla, Lib2Go, Flipster, and other databases.
● Library events and meeting room reservations are canceled through the closure.
● Visit the Library website at www.newportlibrary.org for COVID-19 information and
resources. Library staff will also post information on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
● There are no pick-ups for library holds at this time.
● Library staff will be stocking the “Little Free Libraries” in the community for as long as we there is available staff, and the free supply of books and magazines holds out! Please find one in your neighborhood and enjoy the pleasure of reading. Leave a book if you wish or simply exchange your book when you are finished.
Your health and safety, as well as that of our staff and volunteers is the top concern.
We appreciate you and look forward to seeing you when we reopen. Thank you for your patience as we modify operations during this unprecedented time.