Governor Kate Brown Extends Statewide School Closure Until April 28
Governor Kate Brown has announced an extension of Oregon’s statewide school closure to a total of six weeks – until April 28.
* Schools are to remain closed through Tuesday, April 28, 2020.
* Districts are to provide learning supports and supplemental services to students and families during the closure period, including meals and child care. This includes the delivery of food assistance and offering child care for essential health care professionals and first responders.
* School districts may call on public school educators and employees to deliver limited learning and support services.
* Each district will pay all their regular employees during the closure.
* The Oregon Department of Education, Oregon Health Authority, and Department of Human Services are directed to support public schools in the continuity of mental health services.
“I do not take the decision to extend school closures lightly,” said Governor Brown. “This will have real impacts on Oregon’s students, parents, and educators. But we must act now to “flatten the curve” and slow the rate of COVID-19 transmission in Oregon. If we don’t we face a higher strain on our medical system and greater loss of life to this disease.”