Newport Firefighters responded late last evening to a house fire in South Beach in the 7200 block of Abalone Street. Fire Chief Rob Murphy said firefighters pulled up to a house that was obviously on fire and the blaze was spreading quickly. Problem was that a live power line had separated from the house and fell across the driveway and was draped across a car, which was also burning. But firefighters managed to get some water on the fire to slow it down.
After the power company came out and turned off power to the home, firefighters attacked the blaze but by then there wasn’t much house left to save. Fortunately the elderly couple who lived there had safely evacuated. The elderly male was transported to Samaritan Pacific Communities Hospital in Newport for treatment of smoke inhalation. The couple had managed to rescue one of their family cats. No word on the fate of the other one. The Red Cross has arranged temporary living quarters for the couple.
Cause of the fire is suspected to be a portable heater placed too close to a wicker basket. The home was determined to be a total loss.
Newport Fire was assisted by Depoe Bay Fire, Toledo Fire, Central Coast Fire (Waldport) and Yachats Fire Districts and the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office. Further assistance was provided by Central Lincoln PUD, Salvation Army and PacWest ambulance.