Best bets for fishing this holiday weekend
With a three-day weekend coming up for many, plan on at least one day (or two!) on the water. Here are just a few fish to consider:
- Chinook fishing continues throughout the Rogue River.
- Shad are being caught in the Umpqua, Coos and Coquille basins.
- Kokanee fishing has been good in Detroit and Green Peter Reservoirs, as well as Lake Billy Chinook and Wickiup Reservoir.
- Largemouth bass from Davis Lake have been stocked in Pine Nursery Pond, Prineville Reservoir and Prineville Youth Pond.
- Summer steelhead are being caught on the Siletz, Nestucca, Wilson, Clackamas, Sandy and Santiam rivers.
- Smallmouth bass anglers should consider the rocky shores of the Columbia River, as well as the dozens of other places where bass are on the bite.
- Surfperch fishing should be good when the swells and wind cooperate.
- TROUT, thousands of ‘em, are being stocked in dozens of ponds, lakes, streams and reservoirs just in time for the holiday weekend.