Author Therese Oneill to speak at Newport Public Library
Therese Oneill will speak at the Newport Public Library on Monday, April 29 at 6:30 p.m. to talk about her new book, UNGOVERNABLE: The Victorian Parent’s Guide to Raising Flawless Children.
Two years ago, Oneill burst onto the scene with the New York Times bestselling UNMENTIONABLE, a hilarious and scandalously honest guide to life as a Victorian lady. In UNGOVERNABLE, she invites you to “set yourselves free from the agonizing pressures of twenty-first-century parenting” and take a trip back in time to learn about the backwards, pseudoscientific, and downright bizarre childrearing fashions of the nineteenth century.
Sourced from actual advice books of the era, UNGOVERNABLE advises you on:
– How to be sure you’re not too ugly, sickly, or stupid to breed
– Which positions and room decor will help you conceive a son
– How much beer, wine, cyanide, and heroin to consume while pregnant
– How to select the best peasant teat for your child
– Which foods won’t turn your children into sexual deviants
– How to choose the best birching cane
– And so much more
Endlessly surprising, wickedly funny, and filled with juicy historical tidbits and images, Ungovernable provides much-needed perspective on — and comic relief from — the age-old struggle to bring up baby.
Copies of the book will be available for purchase and signing. For more information, go to www.newportlibrary.org or call the Newport Public Library at 541.265.2153.