From the Lincoln County School District
Just before 10:00 this morning (4/10/19), the staff at Crestview Heights School noticed a strong smell of diesel in one section of the school (Hall B). In response, we evacuated students over to Waldport High School and called the fire department. The smell dissipated after about 10 minutes.
At about 10:50, Fire Chief Gary Woodson gave the all clear for students and staff to return to Crestview Heights School. Our facilities manager, Tim Kaufman concurred with the Chief’s assessment for students to return to the building.
Fire Chief Gary Woodson believes that the smell originated from the Waldport High School boiler. He said, “Winds were out of the west. As the boiler [at Waldport High] kicked on, and the exterior door at Crestview was open [due to students going to/from recess], it is possible the fumes got in the building.” Chief Woodson said that the fire department checked the school and used their gas meters to determine there was “zero carbon monoxide in Crestview Heights or even around either boiler room.” He also checked the boiler room at Crestview Heights School, and it was not involved in this incident.
Our Superintendent, Karen Gray, also came to the school to assess the situation with the boilers with our Facilities Manager, Tim Kaufman. Our Facilities Manager proceeded to do a check of the boiler at Waldport High and determined it is in good working condition.
By about 11:00, our students and staff were back in the Crestview Heights building. We are proud of our staff and students for quickly following evacuation procedures. We are thankful for Chief Woodson’s quick response. Chief Woodson said, “We’re happy to help wherever we can.”
Superintendent Gray said, “ I am so proud of the way that the students and staff at CVH followed our procedures and quickly evacuated the school to the high school. Both administrations cooperated very well and the students were kept safe while the district and fire department investigated. Our boilers are in good working condition”.