As storms continue and local waterways rise, it is important to understand a few facts about floods.
Flooding is the most common natural disaster. One inch of water can cost $25,000 in damage. More than 20% of flood claims come from homes outside high-risk flood zones
Unfortunately, a typical homeowners policy does not cover flood damage, however:
* Comprehensive coverage on a typical auto insurance policy will cover damage to your car caused by a flood.
* Some manufactured home policies cover flood damage.
* You can buy flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and a few private insurers, but there is a 30 day waiting period.
* If your home or car is damaged by flood:
* Make safety the top priority when surveying storm damage, avoid downed power lines and watch your step walking around storm debris.
* Save all receipts you obtain from hiring professionals or purchasing supplies to make temporary repairs.
* Record the highest water line on your car and DO NOT attempt to start a flooded vehicle until inspected by a professional.
For more information on flood insurance visit: https://dfr.oregon.gov/insure/home/storm/Pages/flood.aspx or https://www.floodsmart.gov/.