At around 1:30pm Wednesday Newport Fire Department was dispatched to a report of smoke coming from a third floor apartment in the 700 block of the Nye Beach turnaround. Arriving firefighters observed light smoke coming from the third story near the rear of the building.
Once inside firefighters extinguished a small fire in a third story apartment. The adjacent unit was opened and checked for damage and none was found. Fire damage did not extend to any other business or residences. Fire damage was contained to a dryer. However, the rest of the apartment did suffer some smoke damage.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a build-up of lint in the dryer. The Newport Fire Department reminds you to clean your dryer lint trap after every use.
Newport Fire Department received mutual aid assistance from Depoe Bay Fire District, Seal Rock Fire District, and Toledo Fire Dept. Newport Police Dept. and Newport Public Works provided assistance with traffic control.
Newport Fire Department responded with 2 fire engines, 1 ladder truck, 1 heavy rescue, 2 chief officers and 11 firefighters.