From LCSD Superintendent Dr. Karen Gray:
Crestview Heights Elementary School to re-open Wednesday
Building Cleared by Central Coast Fire Department as Safe to Use
On Monday the Superintendent of the Lincoln County School District, Dr. Karen Gray, sent out a message via email, Facebook and phone calls that Crestview Heights Elementary School in Waldport was going to be closed on Tuesday, January 29th due to a diesel smell within the school at various points. Here are the details of what lead up to that decision:
On Saturday the 26th, the Facilities and Maintenance staff started up a boiler at the school. The result was quite a bit of black smoke coming out of the exterior exhaust piping which resulted in a call to Central Coast Fire. The boiler was shut down. Central Coast Fire Chief Gary Woodson, after ensuring through visual inspection and infrared detectors that there was no active fire present, determined that the boiler needed to remain shut down until maintenance could find and correct the issues. Chief Woodson also checked the gym as that was the only area being occupied at the time when smoke was present along with verifying through the use of portable carbon monoxide detectors that the room was safe to occupy.
On Monday the 28th, maintenance staff fixed problems within the boiler and started it back up. However, since there was some residual diesel left in the system the odor of diesel was circulated to various parts of the building.
Dr. Gray went to the school because the staff suggested that the odor may be too strong for some people, especially those sensitive to certain odors. Dr. Gray, decided the building should be aired out further before resuming school.
On Tuesday the 29th, because of many community members expressing concern, Central Coast Fire, at the request of the school district, made a return trip to the school to do a walk-through of the entire school with their carbon monoxide detectors to ensure the building is safe to be occupied. Central Coast Fire Department inspectors determined that the air quality is safe for occupancy by the staff and students.
Despite the fact that carbon monoxide detectors are required in Oregon schools, Dr. Gray has, none the less, ordered her staff to look in to installing carbon monoxide detectors in school district buildings that are heated by fuel or gas burning equipment like boilers.
Crestview Elementary School will be resuming normal scheduling Wednesday, January 30th.