WEATHER IN LINCOLN COUNTY

lazerrose title=

audiology title=

barrelhead

prp

oceancreek

Coast Tree

Sema Roofing

wandr

occc

audiology title=

barrelhead
prp

oceancreek

Coast Tree

Sema Roofing

wandr

occc


barrelhead


Coast Tree

flocs

Oregon organizations slam Kavanaugh Supreme Court hearings and rebuttal

From various Oregon Human Rights qroups

Knute Buehler wants to claim being “pro-choice,” but he refuses to stand with pro-choice Oregonians against the appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Donald Trump nominated Kavanaugh in July, fulfilling his pledge to appoint justices who would gut Roe v. Wade and the constitutional right to access abortion in this country. Since then, two women have come forward with credible allegations of sexual assault.

Buehler’s response? He’s still undecided.

Yesterday, Buehler told KATU-TV that Brett Kavanaugh “deserves to be heard.” He said, “I will reserve my judgment until after I have heard both sides deliver testimony.”

Statement from Emily McLain, Executive Director of Planned Parenthood PAC of Oregon:

“Knute Buehler has waited nearly three months to comment on the most consequential Supreme Court nominee of our lifetime, and he’s still giving Brett Kavanaugh the benefit of the doubt. Let’s be clear: Brett Kavanaugh has already been heard — when he ruled to block abortion access and birth control, and when he failed to give a straight answer on whether Roe v. Wade was rightly decided.

“These serious allegations of sexual violence only further confirm why Brett Kavanaugh is unfit to serve on the nation’s highest court. Knute Buehler is clearly placing partisan politics ahead of protecting Oregon women’s health and rights.”

Statement from Grayson Dempsey, Executive Director of NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC:

“By refusing to speak out against Brett Kavanaugh, Knute Buehler proves that he cannot be trusted to stand up for women, for sexual assault survivors or for reproductive freedom. From lying under oath to sending secret emails misleading the public on his view on Roe v. Wade, Brett Kavanaugh has shown his true colors. And now even with two very credible accusations of sexual assault, Knute Buehler says he will reserve judgment until after a hearing.

“In a time when the stakes have never been higher, there is no room for uncertainty. Oregon women need a champion to stand up to the Trump administration’s ongoing assault on women’s rights, and Buehler has shown once again that lacks the courage and conviction to lead on these important issues.”

Statement from Governor Kate Brown:

“Oregonians know they can trust me to stand up for abortion access and fight back when the federal government tries to take Oregonians’ rights away. I have been 100 percent clear since July that Brett Kavanaugh shouldn’t be confirmed to this court because of the threat he poses to women’s health across the country, including here in Oregon.”

McLain, Dempsey and Gov. Brown participated in the National Walkout and Moment of Solidarity yesterday in support of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez and all survivors of sexual violence.

================================

But one Oregon resident forwarded this letter to NewsLincolnCounty.com containing a statement from Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Senate Judiciary Committee which maintains his innocence – that he never accosted young women in high school or college.

September 24, 2018

The Honorable Charles Grassley
Chairman
Committee on the Judiciary
United States Senate
135 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Dianne Feinstein
Ranking Member
Committee on the Judiciary
United States Senate
331 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Dear Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein:

When I testified in front of the Senate three weeks ago, I explained my belief that fair process is foundational to justice and to our democracy. At that time, I sat before the Senate Judiciary Committee for more than 31 hours and answered questions under oath. I then answered more questions at a confidential session. The following week, I responded to more than 1,200 written questions, more than have been submitted to all previous Supreme Court nominees combined.

Only after that exhaustive process was complete did I learn, through the news media, about a 36 year old allegation from high school that had been asserted months earlier and withheld from me throughout the hearing process. First it was an anonymous allegation that I categorically and unequivocally denied. Soon after the accuser was identified, I repeated my denial on the record and made clear that I wished to appear before the Committee. I then repeated my denial to Committee investigators—under criminal penalties for false statements.

All of the witnesses identified by Dr. Ford as being present at the party she describes are on the record to the Committee saying they have no recollection of any such party happening. I asked to testify before the Committee again under oath as soon as possible, so that both Dr. Ford and I could both be heard. I thank Chairman Grassley for scheduling that hearing for Thursday.

Last night, another false and uncorroborated accusation from 35 years ago was published. Once again, those alleged to have been witnesses to the event deny it ever happened. There is now a frenzy to come up with something — anything — that will block this process and a vote on my confirmation from occurring.

These are smears, pure and simple. And they debase our public discourse. But they are also a threat to any man or woman who wishes to serve our country. Such grotesque and obvious character assassination — if allowed to succeed — will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from service.

As I told the Committee during my hearing, a federal judge must be independent, not swayed by public or political pressure. That is the kind of judge I will always be. I will not be intimidated into withdrawing from this process. The coordinated effort to destroy my good name will not drive me out. The vile threats of violence against my family will not drive me out. The last-minute character assassination will not succeed.

I have devoted my career to serving the public and the cause of justice, and particularly to promoting the equality and dignity of women. Women from every phase of my life have come forward to attest to my character. I am grateful to them. I owe it to them, and to my family, to defend my integrity and my name. I look forward to answering questions from the Senate on Thursday.

Sincerely,

Brett M. Kavanaugh

barrelhead


Coast Tree

flocs

Coast Tree

flocs

Coast Tree

flocs

nlcad

Follow-us-tile