Newport, Oregon—Do you or someone you know have a passion for octopuses, sea otters and charismatic tufted puffins? How about an avid interest in the fishes that call Oregon’s waters home? The Oregon Coast Aquarium is hosting a Volunteer Recruiting Day on Thursday, September 6 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Anyone interested in joining the Aquarium’s dedicated interpretive volunteer team is encouraged to attend.
These ambassadors for nature are an integral part of the Aquarium’s mission. Interpretive volunteers collectively connect with over 400,000 visitors each year, ensuring that they leave the Aquarium with a better understanding of and appreciation for Oregon’s coastal and marine environments.
The Oregon Coast Aquarium treats its volunteer recruits to a three-day crash course beginning on October 4. Upon graduation, these volunteers spend a few hours each week speaking on behalf of Oregon’s marine animals and their environments to Aquarium visitors. This exposure provides volunteers a tremendous opportunity to make a positive impact for their local environment, and the ocean on a global scale. As volunteers accrue experience, they’ll be able to expand their interpretive know-how into other areas of the Aquarium.
“When a volunteer connects with a visitor about a particular animal such as the giant Pacific octopus, or a conservation issue like plastic pollution, they make an impression that may last a lifetime,” said Beth Hawkyard, Volunteer Services Manager for the Aquarium.
Additional perks for Aquarium volunteers include:
• Complimentary Aquarium membership.
• Reciprocal membership to 11 other museums and attractions in the Portland metro area, including the Oregon Zoo.
* Invitations to participate in exclusive lectures and continuing education programs.
• A behind the scenes look at a marine science exhibition facility that is consistently ranked among the ten best in the U.S.A.
• Subscription to the quarterly newsletter, The Upwelling.
• Discounts at the Gift Shops and Café in the Aquarium.
• The opportunity to join rank with nearly 400 other outstanding volunteers that share a passion for marine science.
For more information, please attend Volunteer Recruiting Day on September 6, visit aquarium.org or contact the Aquarium’s Volunteer Services department at firstname.lastname@example.org. To become one of the newest voices for Oregon’s marine and coastal animals, fill out an online application at bit.ly/aquavol.