A couple of weeks back, Rachel Howard (granddaughter of Ed Johann) asked
if the Lincoln City Senior Center might be willing to help host a 95th birthday celebration for Ed. The Board met in June and enthusiastically said, “YES!”
Here are some things you might want to know about Ed.
* He was recovering from a tonsillectomy on a hospital ship in Pearl Harbor
when the attack occurred on December 7, 1941.
* He and two others operated a 30 ft boat to drag survivors out of the water and
deliver them to the Hospital ship.
* He served 27 years on the Portland Fire Department.
* He led many mountain climbing expeditions.
* He was part of a search and rescue team.
* He served 14 years on the Lincoln City Council.
* He was one of the founders of the North Lincoln County Historical Museum and served as it’s president for 7 years.
* He wrote 4 books.
This is an opportunity for the Senior Center to honor a World War II veteran. Ed is currently in a wheelchair, but still of active mind and strong spirit. He will be coming on July 11th from Wilsonville for the birthday celebration.
An article in the Newsguard should be coming out on Wednesday, July 4th about his life.
The senior center is shutting down all other activities on Wednesday, July 11th from 10 to 3 for this event. You are invited!