The views and opinions of submitters to “Letters to the Editor” do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of NewsLincolnCounty.com, its staff or advertisers. The positions taken in the following letter are strictly those of the submitter.
Change – Let’s talk about it!
In the short time I have been your County Commissioner here are some of changes and betterment I have brought:
For Public Safety:
* Added sheriff deputies
* Hired a domestic violence victims advocate
For Homelessness and Housing:
* Developed program for matching city funds for homelessness
* Approved tax abatement with Newport for affordable housing
* Funded Lincoln City’s Family Promise
For Mental Health Services
* Initiation of “Stepping Up” to keep mentally ill out of jail
* Improved innovative programs and staffing of county’s behavioral health and crisis coordinators
* Respite housing purchased by the county with state and federal funds
* Appointed to Governor Brown’s workforce board and to her Maritime Strategies Taskforce
* $8 million lottery dollars for the Port of Toledo redevelopment creating 150 jobs
* Pacific Marine Energy Center (PMEC), a $40 million state funded project for clean energy innovation
For Financial Accountability and Management
* Limited county government growth – only 7 additional general government budgeted positions over the last 5 years.
* Nearly doubled critical general fund reserves to $9 million
* Re-aligned and adjusted county salary structure ensuring equal pay for equal work for all
I’m Lincoln County Commissioner Doug Hunt, seeking re-election to the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners. I’d appreciate your vote.
Any and all candidates for public office coming up May 15th, you are all invited to state on NewsLincolnCounty.com, totally free of charge, why you’re running for office and why you feel qualified to serve the residents of Lincoln County. Please limit your statements to no more than 250 words. Send your statements to: News@NewsLincolnCounty.com