Sheriff Curtis Landers
Local Option Tax Levy for Countywide Public Safety Services
On May 15th, Lincoln County Voters will have the option to approve a $0.46/$1000 (46-cents per thousand) of assessed property value Local Option Tax Levy for Countywide Public Safety Services.
If passed, the Sheriff’s Office would provide the following enhanced services:
* Pretrial Justice Program. Provide for release coordinators to determine release status of inmates with an assessment tool to reduce force release/matrix of inmates. Coordinators will also provide oversight of individuals released to maximize public safety, maximize court appearances, and maximize releases. This will keep the right people in jail.
* 24/7 patrol coverage. The Sheriff’s Office has not had 24/7 patrol coverage since 1993.
* Provide a dedicated drug related crime detective. Due to staffing levels and call volume, we removed our LINT drug detective 4 years ago. This would provide a detective to work with other agencies and address drug related crimes.
* A Detective Sergeant. Oversight of crime reduction unit.
* A Support Services Specialist. This will account for additional support to staffing increases in enforcement services.
* An inmate counselor. Individuals with mental illness continue to increase in our jail. One inmate counselor is not adequate to address the needs. Transition back to the community is missing and would improve.
* Additional Corrections Deputies. In 2009 we lost 5 corrections deputies due to decreased county budgets. This would add those deputies back and allow for us to provide a work crew deputy to provide an inmate work crew to address community needs. Also provides inmates with job skills training.
* Recent 9th Circuit Court decision requiring 2 deputies for unrestrained inmates in court.
* Provides for in-school programs.
* Additional deputy safety working within the facility.
* Jail Facility Receptionist. In 2009 we lost the jail receptionist. We use other support staff to provide reception duty coverage on a rotating basis.
* Jail Cook. This will provide additional training for the inmate population regarding food handling skills to better prepare them for transition back into the workforce upon release. This position will replace two part-time cook positions in the facility.
* Program/volunteer coordinator. This will allow us to provide additional programming for inmates to address the root cause why they offended and prevent recidivism and increase success.
* Warrants/Transports Specialist – This will provide an additional position to account for excessive workload of high liability, time sensitive processing of court ordered documents. This burden is currently the responsibility of one employee.
* Health Nurse Supervisor – this will provide supervision of medical and counseling services in the jail facility and relieve a corrections sergeant to focus on operations and pretrial justice supervision.
* Equipment and future related space needs.
This enhanced public safety services package is designed to reduce crime, reduce recidivism, reduce forced release/matrix of inmates, and improve quality of life. It comes with a prevention component, an enforcement component, a safety component, and a programming component.
Sheriff Curtis Landers
Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office