A fire Sunday at 640 SE 5th caused considerable damage to the roof and attic the home, forcing the family to flee and requiring hours of fire fighting. The roof was thick with overlay after overlay – firemen literally having to dig to fight the flames.
After a couple of hours they had the fire out. Some mopping up ensured they got any and all embers that might be smoldering “in there.” But of course there’s no guarantee that one or two of those embers might re-ignite. You just never know.
But the house was badly damaged, from the fire and firefighters battling the fire from above and below.
The cause was the family lighting halloween candels too close to window curtains.
Ironically, the house next door to the west burned last year. Just a vacant lot there now. So, an unlucky block of SE 5th, you might say.