MONDAY MORNING –
Newport Fire Chief Rob Murphy says the fire was caused by decorative Halloween candles that caught curtains on fire. From there the fire worked its way into the attic which was hard to get to because ther were multiple layers of roofing that had been applied over the years. It took fire fighters a while to peel it back and literally pursue the fire through the thick roofing. More details coming up.
No one injured. The family evacuated quickly.
Probable attic area fire at a house at 640 SE 5th in Newport. Family has evacuated.
Newport Fire on scene sizing up the fire – calling for back up from Seal Rock and Toledo Fire Departments.
Fire Chief Rob Murphy on scene.
Chief Murphy says the fire is in the attic.
Firefighters still at it. After knock-down, they drown it.
Ironically 640 SE 5th is right next door to a house that burned last year, the lot to the west. Google Maps shows bare ground after the damaged home was removed. 640 SE 5th is listed as a Bed and Breakfast inn.
Fire has been knocked down. Mopping up to make sure there are no overlooked hot spots.