November 1, 2016
Rebuttal to Lincoln City City Council Candidate’s Mailer Ward 1
Last week a political mailer from my opponent appeared in mailboxes in Ward 1. The mailer contained statements that are factually and legally incorrect. They need to be corrected and an apology needs to be sent to the Planning Commission. The statements are accusatory toward me as an opponent and as a Planning Commissioner. An almost identical mailer was also sent by another candidate to Ward 2.
It is wrong in two ways:
Factually Wrong: It states that the Planning Commission recommended to City Council to “gift” the use of 110 parking spaces “valued at $400,000” at the Community Center for the new owners of the old Elks building. That is factually incorrect. The Planning Commission did not recommend this to City Council.
Legally Wrong: The Planning Commission does not have the authority to make such a recommendation, let alone an agreement. That decision falls squarely to the City Council.
The Planning Commission minutes of the September 20, 2016 meeting clearly state the truth and the candidate only had to read them to be aware of the facts.
There is a difference of authority for the City Council and the Planning Commission. This candidate should be aware of those differences, especially as he has served on both the Planning Commission and the City Council.
Vote for me, Diana Hinton, a person of integrity who will work relentlessly to:
* Organize neighborhoods so your voice can be heard in city hall
* Bring forward a comprehensive solution to our housing crisis so people who work here can live here and vote here
* Create more year-round jobs and career opportunities while our tourist industry continues to thrive
* Maintain and enhance senior services and encourage the city to attract more seniors and retirees
* Pursue earthquake preparedness to save lives
I know how city government and neighborhoods work and I will use that experience to make Lincoln City work for you! ‘It all begins in the neighborhood!’
Diana Hinton, Candidate
Lincoln City City Council Ward 1