An open letter to the Lincoln County community from the KYAQ Board
KYAQ has received official notice from one of our major creditors that our lease is up for renewal on December 31 of this year, and unless all arrears are paid and the full monthly amount is paid each month, the lease will be terminated. KYAQ currently only has enough revenue to pay half the monthly lease amount. The arrears that must be paid are in excess of $10,000.
This is the greatest existential crisis that has faced KYAQ radio. We have been working hard to increase local programming and are proud of the progress we’ve made in the past year.
* We now have 3 locally produced music programs, one of which features local musicians, with another in development.
* We have 6 locally produced talk programs, including Furious George, FYI with FTD, Talk of Toledo, Latina Corner, our first Spanish language program, and the new program with Bernie Levy, “Everything in the world”.
* We have forged partnerships with many local service organizations, giving air time to allow groups to get their message out to the community.
* We air local news and weather daily, and host a monthly live broadcast of music by local musicians, “Club KYAQ”.
* In addition to more local programming, we’ve increased programming from various public radio sources in an effort to reduce and eventually eliminate repeat airings of programs.
In spite of all these accomplishments, our monthly revenue has increased only slightly. We hold pledge drives and fundraisers twice a year with meager results. Sustaining members who make monthly donations number in the 20’s. As a result, we have been falling behind on our bills virtually from the day we began broadcasting.
So, this is it. If you want a local community radio station, you must help us out financially, or we will have no choice but to close the station and liquidate our assets to pay our creditors.
To donate you can go to KYAQ.org and click on the “DONATE” button. This allows you to set up a monthly donation through Paypal using your credit card. You don’t need to have an existing Paypal account to donate.
(Please note that today, October 21st, paypal and other major internet sites are experiencing a denial of service attack and may not be available. If you can’t reach the Paypal site, try again later.)
You can also donate by sending a check to:
P.O. BOX 1664
Newport, OR 97365